THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 27, 2008

My poetry for the day...

Messy house, oh messy house
How do you get this way?
One day I clean you spick-and-span
The next you are in disarray.
Laundry, dishes, toys and papers
Grow at exponential rates
As I wonder how these things
Can take over my home and become what I hate?
My mom and mother-in-law seem to know
Just how to keep a home looking its best
But when I try to implement their suggestions
Their methods don't seem to put an end to my mess.
Is it my toddlers' boundless creativity
That spreads our things here and there
Or is it that I’m just too lazy
And don’t spend enough time keeping my home with care?
I’m sure it’s just that old physics law
That says all order craves disorder
But I’ll never figure out how some moms defy that law
While it has me wanting to run for the border.



Funny related story...a couple of weeks ago I had a playgroup at my house with Libby and two sweet moms I'd recently met, so Libby and I didn't know them very well. Before they came, I focused my cleaning efforts on the living area and guest bathroom, so I didn't finish the kitchen area. So I piled all the dirty dishes in the sink and there were a few that didn't fit, so I left those on the counter by the sink thinking, "We won't be in the kitchen, it will be fine." So one of the moms had a 3-yr-old son that kept standing in my kitchen and staring at my sink area and trying to climb on chairs and stools to get a better look THE ENTIRE TIME. I said, "It seems kind of like he's never seen dishes left out by the sink before." And his mom said, "I don't think he ever has."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's be optimistic. Maybe that little boy's family always has takeout?

Kenzi's getting better about picking up after herself but since Keves started crawling I think it was one step forward and two steps back. Your home looked immaculate every time I saw it, so don't stress out!

sheltonfamily said...

Crazy story about the dishes.....I love your poetry! I clean once a week and pick up the rest of the time... There is no point to do it more. It will just get messed up!

Anonymous said...

hilarious! for the record, your house always looks great....it's just hard to be keep up with everything when you have 2 kids moving in opposite directions.

stacy said...

april- give yourself a break! i stick by this saying: "my house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy!" love you- you are a super mom! stacy

Unknown said...

Friends like this are NOT allowed in my house! Or if they are friends, they would be in there helping me wash up the dirty dishes...

Christine said...

April, you are such a good, loving mom! You are pregnant and have little ones. By the time the kids have grown up and moved out you will be able to keep a perfectly clean house, because it just takes pratice and time with the kids. With little ones and pregnancy some of it is just coping. One day you will miss the mess and the little kids.