THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, November 14, 2008

My Grandmother's funeral was yesterday...

Dorthy Jean Willhite


November 2, 1924 - November 11, 2008
This is her with me at my wedding on July 24, 2004...soon after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She moved into assisted living soon thereafter, and then spent the last 3 years in a special home for people with Alzheimer's disease and that is where she died in her sleep. Here is her obituary.

This is what I said at her funeral:

I just wanted to share a little about my Grandmother Dot from my perspective as one of her granddaughters.

She loved so many things (England, teapots, Martha Stewart, tea, bread, her Methodist church, her Volvo, a good burger, pretty dishes)…

She loved to do so many things (cooking/perfecting recipes, painting, sewing/knitting, listening to classical music and going to musicals, taking hot baths, reading, gardening, crossword puzzles in the DMN, setting her table for a party, anything simotaneously creative and tedious)…

But above all, she loved her friends and her family. Her greatest joy was to give us gifts and to serve us in her home as though we were royalty… holidays and family reunions were the highlights of her life. She spelled love T-I-M-E and I believe she cultivated so many collections and hobbies just to pass time until the next time she got to spend time with the people she loved.

On a more personal note, Dot always made me feel loved and special because of the way she patiently listened to my dreams and youthful fancies. Never once was she critical of me or skeptical that there was anything I couldn’t do. Her confidently believing in me has shaped who I am today. She taught me to take the time to appreciate beauty and to make things beautiful. The time we spent together is my most treasured and priceless gift from Dot. I will cherish her and remember our times together always.

The whole funeral was beautiful. My Aunt Lynn is a Methodist Minister and officiated and read the most beautiful Scriptures: Psalm 103, Isaiah 40, Romans 8, Proverbs 31 and John 14. I got to help pick the music with my mom:

  • Beginning Song: Jim Brickman - Holy, Holy, Holy (instrumental)
  • Middle Song: Phantom of the Opera - Think of Me
  • End Song: Michael W. Smith - The Giving (instrumental)

The leftovers (that the family had not already taken) from Dot's 400+ teapot collection were brought and placed outside so that every one could take a teapot (or several) to remember her.

It was great to see family and 3 special people came...Jon's grandmother and Aunt Missy, and my dear friend Libby (who went so far above and beyond by watching J.R. after he yelled and chunked a handful of goldfish into the aisle right after the service started). Anna Kate was really sweet during it and before and after the service she kept wanting to go up front and stand on her tippy toes at the casket and "see Dot." Thanks to every one for your thoughts and prayers!!!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sending my hugs and prayers April. What you wrote was beatiful...print it out and have it framed with the picture you posted of the two of you.
Laurau

Anonymous said...

So sorry for you loss, April. My grandmother died last December after a two-year struggle with the after-effects of a stroke. Hard to say goodbye, but she is so much happier now!

Love,
Carey

Christine said...

April, I am so sorry for your loss. You, your family and your grandma are in my prayers.

A Longhorn in Chapel Hill said...

April, I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic post, April! I will be thinking about and praying for your family. It is SO hard to lose grandparents, but we are so lucky to have had such great ones in our lives!!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your grandmother. I know that you were very special to her.
(and it was my pleasure to watch J.R.)