We went down to visit our parents in Austin for Christmas this year...it always takes me all day to pack and get ready to leave b/c I feel like I might die whenever I travel and I don't want to make some lucky relative have to clean my house in addition to preparing for my funeral. ANYWAY, after spending a whole day preparing to leave, I was ready to leave, but Jon said it was getting late and then soon after we set out, J.R. did a huge throw-up in the car (probably b/c of his antibiotic he's on for an infected ingrown toenail...poor guy) and so I decided to leave Jon and the kids behind and they could come in the morning if that's what they wanted to do, b/c I was ready to go and it was "now or never" for me. But then after driving past downtown in the car all by myself, I realized that the car sure was quiet, and I felt too guilty to travel by myself in all that peace and leave Jon to fend for himself when he's such a patient helpful husband to me all the time. So I turned around and got a peppermint chocolate chip milkshake to reward myself for doing the right thing and honoring my husband's wishes and for all the money we'd save on gas and tolls by just taking 1 car :)
AT MY PARENT'S HOUSE...
ANYWAY, we headed down early the next morning (Christmas Eve), I got my second haircut in 3 days (to repair the "worst haircut I've ever seen" according to the good 2nd hairdresser) and we shopped and ate Mexican food

with my family. On Christmas day we spent Christmas morning reading the Christmas story from a children's book that Anna Kate helped read in a very animated fashion (why did we forget our video camera?? and why was no one down for wearing their cute Christmas pjs in the 70 degree weather except for me?)

and opening presents (the kids got a kitchen from my parents that was at our house so we wouldn't have to haul it home...and so my dad wouldn't have to put it together I think...so they just unwrapped a bag with the receipt, but were totally good sports about it) and then I cooked turnips and greens to contribute to our Christmas lunch. Then we visited my sister's COOL loft-style apartment while the kids took naps and then we played at my parent's park. Miss Caroline sure has been packing on those holiday lbs.
AT JON'S PARENT'S HOUSE...
The next morning we went to Jon's parent's house and met two dear friends, Bryson and Annie, and visited with them (and they told me about this super
cool website that gave me some reassurance that Caroline is not headed for name fame this year) and then we had a wonderful Christmas dinner with Jon's parents and sisters (his mom's beef tenderloin is the best food in this world). The kids got fun presents...cars for J.R. of course and princess music and a Baby Alive that cries and needs diaper changes for Anna Kate...her comment on it that cracks me up is, "What's wrong with this baby, it's not crying?" And we watched fun home videos of Jon and his sisters during Christmas when they were little :) The next morning we headed home...it was a short visit but nobody got overtired so we left feeling like it was a fabulous visit with both our families...and reminising (sp?) how nice it would be if we lived closer to our parents and could spend time with them more regularly then head home and all sleep in our own beds.
BACK AT HOME...
The next day we had nursery duty at church, Jon and our neighbor Pat installed my NEW oven (Jon's Christmas present to me!) and one of Jon's law school friends came to stay with us and just left today. Meanwhile, that new oven has CHANGED MY LIFE. My other oven was as old as our house (it was built before I was born) and it had 3 temperatures: warm, 400 and broil. So you had to adjust all the recipes accordingly...casseroles were forgiving, but my baked things were always well-done...not to mention the greatness of a working oven light and timer. SO I started to think, if a new oven could be such a drastic improvement, then so could a new dining room chandelier, and new fireplace door, and remodeled kitchen, and remodeled guest bathroom and all the other updates and beautifications I have thought of...so I have planned all that out so that a) we'd know just how much money we were looking at ($7500 is the grand total for EVERYTHING I'd like to do to our house, except for the new roof we need b/c I'm still hoping for some hail-damage this spring so our insurance can pick up that tab) and b) when we decide to do it we can start immediately with the plan and not have to waste any time planning then, you know? I've really liked not having anywhere to go or anything to do all week since every one else is still out-of-town and our activities don't start up until next week...I just so enjoy a slow-pace...I also planned advent calendar devotions and family activities for every day for next year...still looking for that perfect advent calendar to drop to clearance prices...hopefully Pottery Barn will take note of this when they read my blog for the latest in style trends. I'm really excited Jan. 1 is tomorrow, but that means we get to start a new month's budget which means I can spend money again since Dec.'s budget was spent a long time ago :) Happy New Year tonight!!!
1 comments:
you are so funny! i wish we'd hung our more when we had a chance!
Post a Comment