THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Memorial Service...

I can't even describe the tremendous peace and healing I feel in my heart after the service. I had so much anxiety before the service that it would be super awkward and weird, but I just couldn't let my baby's life end here without this closure and I am so super thankful for the support of my Pastor and church family that made this possible.
Jon and I cleaned out this "compost" area before the service.

Our Pastor opened us in prayer.
Jon read some verses about how God creates life in the womb, we are members of God's family and God is the one who takes care of us.
Then our Pastor read Ps. 145:8-21...and we all read aloud verses 9, 13b, 17 and 21b.




Then Anna Kate read the letter she wrote to the baby.

Dear Baby ~ We love you so much. We miss you and wish you were here and I wish we were best friends. I wanted to name you Katelyn. I love you, you are so precious to me. Love, Anna Kate

Then I read a letter I wrote to the baby.

My precious child ~There is so much I do not understand. I do not understand why you were a part of our family for such a short time, but I pray that you know that we love you and are thankful for the time we shared with you. Your time here mattered. You reminded us how very fragile and precious each of our lives are…I want so hard to plan and control when life comes, and when it goes, but God alone is the Giver of Life and He alone allows life to pass in His perfect time. I wish you could have known the loving, gentle arms of your earthly father, and shared in giggles and laughter with your brother and sisters, but I trust that you are in our Heavenly Father’s care. You will always have a place in our hearts and we will not forget you. Love, Your Mom

Then Jon read a letter he wrote. It was longer and very personal.
We buried these letters with white rose petals that represented the body of the baby since we do not have it with us.
Then we sang The Love of Christ is Rich and Free.



Then we planted 3 rose bushes as a family...each rose bush was a gift from each of the baby's siblings. He's Always Been Faithful by Sara Groves played during this time.
Then Pastor Colin closed us in prayer and read II Cor. 5:6-8.

We wanted to do the service in our driveway and plant the roses here so that each time we come home, we remember that we are not home yet, but we are going home to live with our Lord and the Saints who have gone before us. The best is yet to come…



2 comments:

Lauren said...

Sounds like a wonderful service! I'm so glad you went with your heart and did exactly what you felt you were supposed to do. I know God was glorified through it all.

Looking forward to seeing you all!!

Unknown said...

April,
That is a beautiful service and lovely idea. I wish more people were open to it and it was more common. I'm so glad it gave you peace.
Laura